Friday, July 8, 2011

In the (cliched) beginning

I've been thinking about writing a blog for a long time.  I read many good blogs on the topic of games and comics.  I thought maybe I might have something to say someone else would be interested in and make some new friends along the way.
I first found out about Dungeons and Dragons in fifth grade.  My cousin brought the Basic Set to recess in the gymnasium one day.  He DM'd a quick game with myself and about 4 or 5 of our friends.  I think I was playing a Cleric.  I remember we were fighting zombies or some form of undead.
Anyway, I was hooked.  The idea of playing make believe with formal rules to tell this story with some friends just fascinated me.  We played pretty regular for the rest of the school year.  In fact, for the next two years my cousin and I tried several different games before he and his family moved out of the state.
Mainly TSR stuff, because it was easiest to find.  We played Gamma World, Star Frontiers and Marvel Superheroes.  And of course Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.  We even talked about writing our own game.  Good times indeed.
Most of my free time and money was happily spent on games, miniatures and comics.
Which brings me to the other hobby/obsession of my life.  Comic books.
You see, I had this other cousin who really liked Batman and Spiderman.  We bought as many comics as we could, any chance we got.  We were expert comicologists, of course.  We knew the origins, the powers, first appearances.  All the vital information.  And we were going to write our own comics.
I had big dreams back then.
Long story short, everyone else grew up and I still collect games and comics.  Sometimes to the detriment of my budget and the ire of my wife.  But I guess I can't help it.  I still get excited by the stuff.
I'd like to find some friends who share my passion for games, comics and pop culture in general.

I guess this is a start.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the gaming blogosphere. You'll find no shortage of people who appreciate the old time games. Welcome aboard and looking forward to what you have to share.

    ReplyDelete