Sunday, August 21, 2011

Crazy Five Game Pileup

I swear I thought of doing this before I read about the Half Baked Adventure Idea on Tim Brannan's Other Side blog. I just wanted to make clear I'm not trying to rip off his cool idea, although mine is very similar.

It's based on the idea that the theme and execution of a campaign are more important than the rules system. The DM can lift anything from any rule system and apply it to their game. The very heart of the DIY RPG concept. This may be correct or not. Mileage may vary.
I'm not even sure if I'm up to this. It may just be a thought experiment.

The goal is to have a game that simulates a kind of mix between Hellboy and Steampunk flavors.
It uses five different games from 1st to 5th editions.
Here are the games.

1. Danger Quest. Using this for the random character backgrounds.
2. Villains and Vigilantes 2nd edition. Random super powers.
3. D&D 3rd edition. Fantasy races and spell lists.
4. Gamma World 4th edition. mutant animals and mutations.
5. Call of Cthulhu 5th edition. Using this for the core rule system and the Wild West Cthulhu rules from Worlds of Cthulhu magazine #2.
Link to Wild West Cthulhu Character Sheet PDF

Okay, all this sounds really crazy and maybe stupid to some. But instead of trying to do direct mathematical conversions between systems, I'm just using the ideas to influence the Basic Role Play game.
Or I might just go insane. Either way, fun stuff!
More later...

3 comments:

  1. WHy not include GURPS Steampunk or Hellboy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a valid question. Normally I would use a system dedicated to the setting.
    I'm trying this as sort of an experiment. I want to see what strange combinations arise from meshing the games together.
    Since I'm using Villains and Vigilantes it's going to be a game of super monster hunters.
    So a little more like a comic book than the typical Call of Cthulhu game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think Hellboy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Wild Wild West, Van Helsing etc.
    ..Meets Ravenloft.

    ReplyDelete