Sunday, August 28, 2011

If you had one game...

So I didn't evacuate all the way to Indiana. After spending way too long in stop and go traffic on the highway, the wife and I decided to stay in Roanoke Virginia a little over 200 miles from the coast.
We've just been hanging out in our room trying not to think much about what condition we might find the house on our return. And entertaining the dogs.

Of course I had to bring a couple games along to read.
Here's what a brought in a brown paper bag:
AD&D 1st edition:
DM Guide
Players Handbook
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Fiend Folio
B2 Keep on the Borderlands
L1 The Secret of Bone Hill
L2 The Assassin's Knot
N1 The Cult of the Reptile God
Call of Cthulhu 20th Anniversary edition (Not leaving that behind to be claimed by Cthulhu)

I've read Secret of Bone Hill cover to cover, trying to discover what the motivations and back story are supposed to be. On the surface it appears to be just encounters on a map. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just want to know if the author intended more.
As it turns out, there's a blog for that!
The Restenford Project
I'm going to have to read that as well before I comment more. It looks very interesting.

So if you were stranded somewhere and had a game, maybe 3 or 4 books for it and paper and dice, what game would that be?

I guess I've made my choice: AD&D 1st edition core books.

4 comments:

  1. If I had only one single book, it would have to be the D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

    If I had a couple books, it would be OSRIC (because it contains material from several AD&D books) with a couple AD&D books. (Probably Oriental Adventures, Monster Manual II, and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could only have one game, it would be GURPS Characters, GURPS Campaigns, GURPS Magic and GURPS High Tech in order to facilitate play for darn near any genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to choose which game books to salvage during a disaster I'd grab Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future since they are the retro-versions of two favorite old games. I could grab Encounter Critical too because it's just a few pages on printer paper. Oh yeah, I have that on CD, I better grab the Encounter Critical Phasic Cyborg edition!

    Of course, I'd hate to lose all of my 1st edition AD&D books too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete